Bamboo Shoot and Crab
800 gr Bamboo Shoot , sliced
10 pcs Red chillies
2 cloves Garlic
12 cloves Shallot
1 cm Gallangal, bruised
5 pcs Candle nut
1 cm Ginger
2 stalks lemon grass
6 pcs Daun salam ( can be replaced with bay leaf)
4 medium size crabs
500 ml Coconut milk
500 ml Water
pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
- Boil the crab in salty water for 10 mins or until the colour turns red. Drain the crab and put aside.
- Blanch the bamboo shoot and drained
- Red chillies, garlic, shallot, ginger and candle nut put in a blender until smooth
- Sautee the above paste (mixture), add in gallangal, daun salam and lemon grass till fragrant.
- Add water, salt, a pinch of sugar, crab and bamboo shoot. Leave to cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk stir slowly and constantly for 10 minutes or so.
- Ready to serve with white rice.
These crab are mud crab, they are green when fresh will turn orange after being cooked. They can be replaced with any type of crab.
This picture below is a giant crab..... 20 cm..... just the body!!
Giant Mud Crab from Aceh (Lae Butar)
Bamboo Shoots (rebung