Rendang is West Sumatra cuisine yet this is the most popular dish in any house hold or Indonesian Restaurant in Medan.
Our recipe here is very simple and easy to prepare.
500 gr Beef ( We don't usually use the prime cut, preferably shank. Cut into 15 pieces or any size)
5 Dried red chilies
15 Red chilies
7 cloves Shallots
2 cloves Garlic
3 tbsp Coriander seeds
2 cm Ginger
2 cm Galangal (bruised)
1 stalk Leman grass (bruised)
2 Daun salam ( use bay leave for an option)
1 Turmeric leaves sliced thinly (omit if it is not available)
5 Kaffir llime leaves
2 tbs Grated coconut and roasted till brown ( desicated coconut can be used)
1 cup Thick coconut
1 cup water
100 gr Red kidney beans ( optional)
Salt to taste
- Soake dried chilies in hot water till soft
- Grind or put the roasted coconut in food processor till resemble paste
- Grind or put in blender red chilies, dried red chilies, shallots, garlic, ginger and corriander seeds till smooth.
- Sautee the mixture and add on the ground coconut
- Then put lemon grass, daun salam, galangal, turmeric leaves and kaffir lime leaves.
- When fragrant put in the beef, stir for a few minutes
- Pour in water, stir and leave it to boil then add on the coconut milk
- Cook in low heat for at least 2 hours ( sometimes 3 hour), stir occasianaly to stop it sticking to the pot until the beet is tender.
- Another option we can cook it in slow cooker. Usually this method will leave too much gravy and this will call Kalio. Put in a shallow pan to dry out the liquid and need to stir occasionally.
- If tin red Kidney beans are used, put it at the last minute.
Wow! Ini yg aku cari dan top banget rasanya stlh matang! Tx for sharing ya, Mbak.ReplyDelete
Most welcome dan Thanks for visiting my blogReplyDelete