This dish is very popular in a Restaurant in Medan. People having it any time of the day, breakfast or lunch. You can serve eather with rice noodle or just steam rice, while the beef can be replaced with chicken. This recipe below is as close as the taste of what would you get in a the restaurant.
350 gr Beef (preferably shank, diced)
4 Dried chilies (soaked in hot water)
2 clv Garlic
6 clv Shallots
1 tbs Coriander seeds
1 tsp Cumin
2 Candle nuts
2 Daun salam ( use bay leaf if it is not available)
1 White cardamon
1 Star Anise
2 cm Cinnamon
250 ml Thick coconut milk
2 tbs Cooking oil
250 gr Rice noodle
3 Medium size potatoes (peeled and quartered)
Salt to taste
- Boil the beef with a little of salt till tender (cook it long and slow, will give a tenderer result)
- Put in a blender : Dried chili, corrieander seeds, cumin, candle nuts, garlic, and shallots
- Heat the oil in frying pan and sautee the mixture above, add white cardamon, star anise and cinnamon till fragrant then pour in the beef soup.
- Add the potatoes, bring to boil and then simmer on low heat till potatoes are done.
- Add the coconut milk, stir gently and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with rice noodle or steam rice.
If you like it hot, add sambal.... mmmmm yum.....